Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Music Bulletin #2

Just a little update on the bands I'll be catching when I hop over to the Big Apple for two weeks in May:

1. Kasabian (with Mad Action and Rock n' Roll Soldiers) at the Bowery Ballroom, 17th May
2. Doves (with Mercury Rev) at Webster Hall, 18th May
3. Fischerspooner at the Canal Room, 19th May
4. Snow Patrol (with Athlete) at the Roseland Ballroom, 20th May
5. The Decemberists at Warsaw @ the Polish National Home, 26th May

I've bought tickets for all except (5). A friend in NYC who's going to the show with me is buying them direct from the venue to save handling costs (in America, handling fees are around 30% of the ticket price). The Decemberists are a real grower; I wasn't too impressed with their sound at first but once I checked out their lyrics, I got hooked. I am particularly and inexplicably moved by "The Soldiering Life". I really am.

One other artist I've gotten into is Feist. Her debut album, Let it Die, betrays the dourness of its title by being one of simplest, loveliest listening experiences in recent months. It has just enough variety so that it surprises at many turns, yet doesn't come across as loose or eclectic. Her cover of Ron Sexsmith's "Secret Heart" brings a smile to my face everytime I listen to it. And even though I have no idea what "Tout Doucement" means, its tune is one of sheer delight. Small wonder then that she, of all people, was invited to guest on the Kings of Convenience's second album.

2 Comments:

At Mon Mar 28, 11:20:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes yes! feist is lovely. i like 'mushaboom' for walks in the park or down streets or whenever i'm walking around to a beat in general.

 
At Tue Mar 29, 06:24:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding gig number 5, yay! My offer of album loans still stands, let me know if you want them. (I don't have their latest one yet though.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home