Saturday, January 22, 2005

Gone for a Song

Friday came, and Friday was gone, all because of a song. Last Thursday I finished writing "To Elizabeth", and today I recorded it on my computer. I really meant to...yes, work on my thesis...but distraction intervened, and soon after inspiration took over.

Once I got going, I spent FIVE SOLID HOURS after lunch recording, arranging, sequencing and mixing the vocal, string and guitar parts. The result was admittedly pleasing. I surprised myself on two counts: first, with being able to fingerpick the verses to the song (because I am really still a beginner); and second, with being able to control the recording in such a way that the acoustic guitar was clear on the final mix.

When I wrote the song, I feared it would sound chirpily early Beatles-esque and hence supremely dated--it has that potential, given its chord progression. Fortuitiously, my sore throat hasn't abated and I had to sing just above a whisper. This, the fingerpicking and a generous dose of reverb gave the recording a rather elegiac quality. I'd gunned for this from the outset.

What can I say? *jumps in the air and clicks heels*.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home