Friday, January 14, 2005

My New Musical Express

I stayed at home and completed writing my first song of the year today. It's a lovely little ditty called "To Elizabeth". I intended it to sound like Suede's "The Living Dead", but it ended up rather Beatles-esque instead.
Interestingly enough, I wrote it on a whiff of inspiration. It has nothing to do with my current musical projects which are:
  1. a song for the tsunami victims
  2. five or so songs for my student club's musical (someone else is taking care of the rest)
  3. the theme song for the larger social service project which the musical is only a part of
  4. demos for a potential debut album, in which "To Elizabeth" doesn't quite fit
I don't know if I should be pleased or afraid. Pleased because I'm becoming prolific again. I'm getting ideas left, right and centre. Every conversation, every snatch of a tune, every change in mood or scenery I encounter now seems pregnant with lyrical and musical possibilities.
But I should be afraid...all this is costing me. Today, I stalled for time by cancelling a meeting with my thesis supervisor because I haven't done anything new since we last met, which was about two months ago. And my thesis is due in about that amount of time. Now that is a scenario for which I have absolutely no music.

1 Comments:

At Fri Jan 14, 09:35:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Insert bad joke about facing the music.)

Michelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home