Friday, January 07, 2005

You Can't Please Everyone

There are always, it seems, some people whose sole purpose in life is to put you down. I've had the misfortune of encountering at least three such people already, and the further misfortune of bumping into one of them today. It was clear from our 5 minute conversation that he wasn't concerned about me at all; he was only concerned about finding as many ways as possible to subvert what I said into subtle insults. And all this, he did with a disarming smile, as if he didn't mean a thing he said.

It's frightening and sobering to realise that for every person you can relate to and click with, there's probably someone else who will never respect a thing about you no matter what you achieve. I like to comfort myself by thinking that such people hate others only because they hate themselves more--but they could just be plain jerks.

On a more cheerful note, three things perked me up today:
  1. Trying out the XXL crispy chicken at Shihlin Taiwan Street Snacks' Junction 8 outlet
  2. On a whim, watching Kung Fu Hustle with my girlfriend
  3. Logging on to the Ministry of Finance website and seeing that the some of the work I did as an intern for its career opportunities pages is finally being used. It's been so long, for a time there I thought my photographs and layouts would never see the light of day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home