Sunday, January 16, 2005

The Knows Nose

All of us have days that don't go as planned. For me, these days fall into three broad categories.

On some days, I am foiled by sociality. On these days, my academic endeavours are thwarted by dinners which last too long, spontaneous chats in campus corridors or ad hoc boozing sessions of which I am only too happy to partake in.

On other days, I am foiled by emotion. Perhaps I am taken by a wave of musical inspiration which I have to work out of my system and on to my guitar. Or there might some unexpected ill-feeling at home which takes the wind out of my sails.

On SOME days (especially my freest, otherwise most productive days) however, I am foiled by BIOLOGY. A mild form of this is a morning crap that feels painfully unfinished for the rest of the day. A stronger variant is a bad mouth ulcer which asserts its presence with the slightest lip movement.

The absolute worst of them is a stuffy nose.

A stuffy nose typically puts me out of commission for anything from four hours to a whole day. It induces a constant sensation best described as rings of fire in the uppermost region of one's nostrils. It becomes stronger with every attempt to do anything remotely cerebral and climaxes in sporadic sneezing fits and leakiness which only exacerbate the discomfort. The best I can do with this condition is to pop a pill and lie motionless with my face in a pillow until it passes.

Well, that's the story of today really. Apart from a nice dinner with my girlfriend, it was horrible. I was counting on this day to catch up with my thesis readings so I'll have something to show my supervisor on Monday. How about tomorrow then? Oh, I can already predict that it'll be foiled by the sociality of 60,000 other fans at the Kallang Stadium.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home