Thursday, January 27, 2005

Family Ties

My paternal grandfather died of a massive stroke when I was a few months old. That was 24 years ago.

A few weeks ago, my father realised he would soon be approaching the age at which my grandfather passed away. He is still in good health.

On Monday, his brother--my eldest uncle, collapsed and was rushed to Tan Tock Seng hospital. It was a stroke, but thank goodness it wasn't serious.

As I stood by his bed today with my father, I suddenly felt incredibly inept and useless. I had nothing to say to my uncle; nothing to give him other than the reassurance that in the very least, by visiting him, I knew the basic rules of propriety.

I wish I could do more than hand him the water which he could've reached for with a little effort. I wish I could look at him in a way that didn't reduce him to an exhibit. I wish I had a way to tell him that I hope for an end to his anxiety about his condition, and a dignified recovery, even though I have no desire to know him as a person.

But I didn't. I just couldn't. Is there a way?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home