Sunday, January 22, 2006

Not Another Poptart Post

Another month, another great Poptart. That much greater for the fact that more of my friends turned up for this one than before...the same five as the last time, plus four inductees. The days of me dancing stupidly on my own and feeling resentment towards cooler-than-thou people are over (I hope). The days of me aching for every other girl on the dancefloor are over too. Now I am either too distracted by communal revelry to dwell on my desires, or I ease my ache by comparing notes with my chums in our post-clubbing declarations of lust...all in good fun, of course.

Christmas eve's Poptart still remains the greatest session ever, but on the whole, things are getting better. The crowd's interacting more and more with the deejays, rushing to the decks and reaching out for them as if they were the singers of the bands being played. The deejays in turn are feeling and working the crowd. Even the crowd is working itself...my friends and I agreed to open the bodysurfing floodgates and we just knew, at the same time, when that moment was (for the record it was Suede's "New Generation"). I learnt just how important this crowd sentiment is when I attempted to bodysurf during The Tears' "Lovers", which I love but people didn't really get into...I ended up being dropped on my head because I surfed into a big gap on the dancefloor(!!)

A highlight of the night was when Adrian spun a remix of "Bizarre Love Triangle" and segued it into a propulsive drum loop which few could identify...until the familiar hook came on, and we realised it was a thundering DJ mix of Franz Ferdinand's "Do You Want To". And what would Poptart be without its de facto anthem, The Arcade Fire's "Wake Up"? I guess this picture, which I took during the song, sums it up really:



As icing on the cake, the electronic billboard at Home announced that the next Poptart is on 11 Feb. It will be a fitting kick-off to a truly manic month: Poptart (11 Feb), Franz Ferdinand 'live' at the Indoor Stadium (16 Feb), Bangkok 100 Rock Fest (18-19 Feb), Oasis 'live' at the Indoor Stadium (26 Feb), Erlend Oye's DJ set at the Esplanade (15 Mar), Kings of Convenience 'live' at the Esplanade Concert Hall (16 Mar), with another Poptart right after the gig. Oh my God!! (Oh my depleted bank account!!)

1 Comments:

At Sat Feb 25, 12:48:00 pm, Blogger kungfubunny said...

so did you go for the bangkok rock fest after all?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home