Sunday, January 01, 2006

Beginnings

And so, 2006 is upon us. I celebrated its arrival with six friends in a swanky hotel room. We played drinking games, reminisced about the year just past, sang the songs of our youth and headed out to the poolside to gaze into the night sky. At the stroke of midnight, we charged into the streets, screaming in delight as we raced towards the nearby clubs, stolen balloons trailing in our hands. We narrowly missed the collective countdown, but didn't allow that to dampen our spirits as we cheered and released our helium-filled orbs into the sky.



Not too far away, a fireworks display began. We could only catch a glimpse of it through the gaps between the buildings across the road. It was the first time I'd ever seen fireworks in person. Photographs and newsreels don't do justice to them--their measured ascent; their immense and graceful expansion; their suspension. This photo I share with you captures little of this, but it does reflect where I find myself in life at the moment: gazing through the cracks at the brilliance that constantly lies just out of reach. Well, at least I think I'm looking in the right direction. Happy New Year, everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home