Friday, December 30, 2005

Thank You For The Music Already

A friend recently made the astute observation that this blog has become almost exclusively devoted to music. That's true. One reason is the fact that I don't blog about work (I feel it's generally a bad idea). The larger reason is that, between the start of the year and now, music has indeed become a much larger part of my life.

In celebration of my renewed enthusiasm and fanboyishness, let me share what's got me geared up for 2006:

Gigs
When I visited Manhattan in May, I made the observation that about 5 'big names' (at least, big to indie kids) were performing there every night...more than what Singapore gets in a year. Well lo and behold, by March next year we'll be halfway to breaking that record. Look at who's dropping by our sunny island in the space of a single month:

1. Franz Ferdinand 'live' at the Singapore Indoor Stadium, 16 Feb
2. Oasis 'live' at the Singapore Indoor Stadium, 23 Feb
3. Kings of Convenience 'live' at the Esplanade Concert Hall, 16 Mar

This is an exciting development. To add to the madness, right smack in this maelstrom of performances is the Bangkok 100 Rock Festival from 18-19 Feb, which boasts two of these acts and six others, plus some Thai bands to boot. After the gigslutfest that was Manhattan, I had no idea I'd be doing the whole lyric-memorising shebang again so soon. And the dancing too...the FF and Oasis gigs have General Admission (i.e. free-standing) areas!!

Albums
Every year has its best newcomers, but since I can't tell the future, I'm looking forward to the new releases of perennial favourites:

1. Morrissey: Ringleader of the Tormentors (20 Mar)
2. Pet Shop Boys: Fundamental (Apr)

Morrissey's album will be a shot in the arm of indie nights all over the world, not least of all Singapore. Popsluts may get an anthem to replace "First of the Gang to Die". Judging from his typically dubious song titles, I'll wager that the new stomper wil be "On the Streets I Ran".

What can I say...roll on 2006!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home