Thursday, March 03, 2005

Caught a Lite Sneeze

I can't believe it. I've fallen ill again.

The symptoms are a running and blocked nose, mouth ulcers, a sore throat and a cough. This wouldn't be half as frustrating if I didn't just recover from another bout a few days ago. It was a cold that started in January but worked itself into a dry cough that hung around for weeks.

It wouldn't be half as frustrating if I hadn't resolved, upon the cessation of that cough, to finally get off my ass and work off my love handles and moobs in the coming months.

It wouldn't be half as frustrating if my parents weren't so quick to lament how their son "still doesn't know how to take care of himself", as they always do when I fall sick.

And it wouldn't be half as frustrating if a group project mate didn't just induct a highly annoying person into the group--a prissy person who glared at me in class when I snorted from hacking and coughing too much. This person is going to wonder why I'm so sickly, and the sad thing is, I wonder too.

My sociology honours mates are staying over at a chalet tomorrow, and I hoped to join them in good health. I've been skiving from their gatherings of late, and was really looking forward to this one. I'll still go, because I want and feel obliged to, but it'll be really awkward exhibiting my symptoms and being a potential wet blanket. Also, my Dad's probably going to raise a ruckus over how I still don't know how to take care of myself, heading for parties when I should be recovering at home.

Sigh.

On a more cheerful note, more acts are announcing May tour dates in New York. Of particular interest to me is industrial music stalwart Nine Inch Nails, who appears at the Hammerstein Ballroom on the 15th and 16th. Tickets go on sale to the general public in less than 72 hours, so I have to decide and act fast.

Another act swinging by the Big Apple is Hoobastank. They're playing on the same night as Snow Patrol. Music geeks, doesn't the fact that I'm watching Snow Patrol that night suddenly seem a lot cooler?

Oh and look at this, it's on in NYC in May too. Rather hilarious, especially if you're a guitar player.

As for myself, what can I say...true to my distractable nature, I've put "Living History" on hold, having been hit with renewed inspiration for an old song idea, "Time to Kill". The way it's shaping up now, it's a stomper and it will probably be my album opener...if I ever finish the album(!)

5 Comments:

At Thu Mar 03, 01:57:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm only aware of one good song by either band, so neither is particularly cool to me, I'm afraid. Oh wait, you addressed the point to "music geeks" not "music snobs". :P

But I'm not displaying my snobbery for no reason, actually, I do have an offer of help - if you direct me to a link where I can look at gig listings for the time you'll be there, I reckon there must be gigs better than Snow Patrol out there and can flag them up for you.

 
At Thu Mar 03, 03:25:00 pm, Blogger The Empty Signifier said...

Hi Mich, here's the link I've been using:

http://www.digitalcity.com/newyork/

A direct link to the search result is very messy, so I'll have to ask you to select "Music" and "May 16" to "May 31" from the pull-down menus.

Feel free to expand the search a few days before and after that period...I'm more than happy to adjust the dates of my trip if there are acts really worth catching.

And thanks for the offer of help; I appreciate it though I must disclaim the similarity of our musical tastes ;)

 
At Fri Mar 04, 01:59:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG YOU LUCKY THANG. NOW YOU COULD BE FACE TO FACE WITH GOD! I MEAN, TRENT REZNOR IS GOD! OH GOD! OH TRENT REZNOR!


(excuse me for i have a violently soft spot for Nine Inch Nails. heh.)

 
At Tue Mar 08, 11:31:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry this took a while, Don. That's a pretty long list of New York gigs. (Choked sobbing.)

I'd consider:
Dresden Dolls, May 16
Disgraceland Electronica (on Thursdays)
Angels Of Light, May 20 (my top pick)
Deerhoof, May 21, 22 (indie darlings, I don't like listening to their albums much but think they may be quite good live)
Some guy and his Appalachian Waltz Trio also interested me, but I'd have to do research on whether they were actually good.

 
At Thu Mar 10, 07:48:00 pm, Blogger The Empty Signifier said...

Yes, it is a pretty long list. I'm only just beginning to appreciate how many acts pass through the Big Apple annually (it's probably every act in the world that releases an album in the US in a given year). You have indie darlings on one hand, and AOR stalwarts such as Michael Bolton(!) and Toto (!!!) on the other.

Incidentally, Dresden Dolls open for NIN which I've decided not to watch. And Angels of Light clash with the uncooler Snow Patrol gig which I've already bought a ticket for.

Will definitely check out Disgraceland Electronica and will consider Deerhoof. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home