Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Music to Run Away To


Krafty screen capture from animero.com: escape and exhiliration.
Sometime back, I wrote about New Order's forthcoming single, "Krafty". A while later, I wrote about escapism. Uncannily, these two themes converge in the music video for the said single (watch it here; Flash 7 required). It echoes what I said about running away with a free-spirited female companion. As a representation of that personal fantasy, the video is somewhat oversexed, but as a promo for the new wave veterans, I think it may just take them into the UK Top Ten. This is the kind of music video I like: straightforward, unadorned, with one key gimmick / characteristic (here, it's the rotating POV). I thought the song was bland until I watched this, and got all goosebumpy when the couple kissed and the guitars burst into the mix.

More pop music gushery: The Tears have released a teaser of their first single, "Refugees". It's lovely, apart from Brett's irritating mispronunciation of 'leaves' as 'leafs'. This song, too, is about escaping--as was much of Suede's repertoire.

On the local front, I've just received two Wallwork releases in the mail, in what could possibly be my first ever mail order. I've known Nick for years, but never really bothered to check his current band out until a friend raved about them over dinner one day.

And myself? Having completed "To Elizabeth", I've been working on another piece called "Living History". The only thing I'll say about it for now is a word that seems endemic to music journos when describing songs of this sort: widescreen. Watch this space.

2 Comments:

At Fri Feb 25, 10:25:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come I changed from "Michelle" to "a friend"? Not that I have any problem with being "a friend", I'm just curious.

 
At Fri Feb 25, 10:43:00 am, Blogger The Empty Signifier said...

Just an idiosyncracy. I'm still experimenting with writing styles. This is still by and large an anonymous blog for a general audience, and for now I don't want to labour the reading experience with too many insider references.

Consider: I've never named "the biodiversity module I'm taking" or the "singing competition" I joined, or "the musical" I'm helping out with. Thanks for understanding ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home