Monday, February 28, 2005

The Marvels of Modern Communication

Sometimes modern communication can be a pain in the ass; sometimes it can be simply marvellous.

I'm planning a trip to New York City in late May, where I'll crash with two friends who are currently finishing their studies there. There's much to be said about the significance of this trip in my life but I'll leave that for a later post. For now, I just want to marvel at how the internet has facilitated the planning process.

The pop music geek that I am, I've been combing various sites trying to find which big names will be playing in NYC during the two weeks I'll be there. Last week, the only such confirmed dates were for U2 and Sarah McLachlan. U2, expectedly, was sold out yonks before I even thought of going to NYC; and I'm not too keen on McLachlan.

The good thing about planning this far ahead, of course, is that many tour dates have yet to be announced. Last night, I noticed that Snow Patrol had just announced a date at the Roseland Ballroom (which I believe is the venue of that landmark Portishead gig). No sooner had I mailed one of my friends to apprise him of this, I saw him online and we chatted about it. Minutes later, he bought two tickets via ticketmaster's website.

Voila, the marvels of modern communication and e-everything. Could such a thing have happened ten years ago? I think not.

There's more...just today comes news that New Order is planning to kick off their latest tour in the US with "some dates in Chicago and New York". They'll be playing a series of festivals in Europe from early June onwards, and have just confirmed their first American date in California on 29 April.

Oh please go to NYC between 16 and 31st May, New Order!!!

1 Comments:

At Thu Jun 16, 08:28:00 am, Blogger Tabatha G. said...

I like your blog. It's too fucking cool. Visit my weblog. But, is in spanish.
http://tabatha.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home