Sunday, April 24, 2005

Music Bulletin #3

Some updates on what's currently rocking my musical world:

NYC Gigs
As mentioned many times on this blog, I'm heading over to the Big Apple in May where I'll stay with a friend for two weeks. It started out as a purely touristy thing but has since transformed into a gigslutfest with the following dates:
  1. Kasabian (with Mad Action and Rock n' Roll Soldiers) at the Bowery Ballroom, 17th May
  2. Doves (with Mercury Rev) at Webster Hall, 18th May
  3. Fischerspooner at the Canal Room, 19th May
  4. Snow Patrol (with Athlete) at the Roseland Ballroom, 20th May
  5. Bright Eyes and The Faint (with Mars Black) at Webster Hall, (either 23, 24 or 25 May)
  6. The Decemberists at Warsaw @ the Polish National Home, 26th May
  7. Kraftwerk (!!!) at the Hammerstein Ballroom, 1 June
I've bought tickets for all of them except the Bright Eyes / Faint gig, since I can't decide which night I should go. And of course I'm thrilled as f*** to be watching living legends Kraftwerk. I will show the full extent of my love for them in a extended blog entry before I fly off.

NYC is truly a pop/rock Mecca: I'm amazed as to the number of artists who take their act to the city every year. Just by way of illustration, on the same night that Snow Patrol are playing, New Yorkers will also get to watch the likes of Hoobastank, Velvet Revolver, Thievery Corporation and Porcupine Tree. Woot!

Kylie Comes to Singapore
While New Yorkers are spoiled for choice with five or six major names each night, us poor Singaporeans have to contend with that amount of celebrity in a year. It's hardly suprising then that club-pop princess Kylie Minogue's June 17 show at the nation's biggest concert venue is generating quite a buzz. While I'm not a fan per se, to me, it's (i) an event promising good fun and great atmosphere; (ii) as a full-blown stadium gig, it's a fitting finale to a gigging campaign that sees me earning earning several badges and stripes in NYC; and (iii) a nice way to say goodbye to the Kallang Stadium, a national icon that will be demolished in 2 years' time so it can be rebuilt with a fancy-pants retractable roof.

New Radiohead Songs
Hurrah! New Radiohead material has surfaced. Thom Yorke has a way with melodies, playing them against chords in such a way that they open up cadences of deep passion and grace. "House of Cards" sounds, in its current embryonic form, like something that could have come from Bends-era Radiohead.

A Rush of Blood
Last night I went to Rushed's EP launch at the Prince of Wales.



A few days ago I had no idea who they were, but someone I met on The Tears' official forum mentioned them and I thought I'd check them out. Their 3-track EP of breezy pop, which you can listen to in its entirety here, is not bad at all. Its execution, unfortunately, was disappointing. So disappointing, in fact, that I didn't feel I was missing much when my girlfriend and I left after the fourth song to catch the last trains home.

For one, Rushed's singer doesn't have a terrific voice. Even though that's never stopped people from making it big in rock, his airy vocals only make sense with far more reverb than the venue could afford. Also, the band's playing, while technically competent, was uninspired. I don't know what they were doing with four guitars; I've heard more layered and nuanced outputs from three and two-guitar setups.


Omigosh! It's Pete Doherty! Oh no wait...it's just the guy from Rushed...

Having said that, I should reiterate that their EP is not bad and worth a listen. What saved the evening for me, however, was meeting my Tears-forum friend in the flesh. Not only did we hit it off fairly well; he also had to walk in and notice me at the moment of moments: during the pre-gig DJ session, smack in the middle of She's in Fashion.

1 Comments:

At Fri Apr 29, 08:54:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have been reading your words for a while - the fact that you're going to see snow patrol and athlete had me particularly interested. (and jealous of course. =)) you'll have blast in NYC.

(and congrats on finishing your journey at NUS.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home